Search This Blog

Translate

Tuesday, August 28, 2012

“ A Pet Peeve ”


Idiom:  “ A Pet Peeve 


Context #1:
 
Joe:  Today I was driving to school and some guy cut right in front of me on the freeway.  He didn't use his turn signal or anything!  I hate that!
Tim: I know.  That is a pet peeve of mine.  I can't stand when people do that!
 
Context #2:
 
Christine: So how's it going with your new boyfriend?
Tammy: Pretty good.  But he comes over to my place and leaves his dirty dishes in the sink without washing them.  It's driving me crazy.  That's one of my pet peeves, you know?
Christine:  Well, then you should just talk to him and let him know how much it annoys you.
Tammy: Yeah, you're right.
 
Meaning: a "pet peeve" is a noun, it means something that really bothers or annoys you.  It is something that drives you crazy, in a bad way!  This idiom can be found in LSI's textbook "Reading Horizons" which is used to teach Level 6 reading at LSI schools.  For more information please visit www.languagesystems.com

No comments:

Post a Comment